Tuesday 19 April 2011

Game Of Thrones - My opinion

Last night I witnessed the opening episode of a Game of Thrones, a series I have been looking forward to in much anticpation. Admittedly, I had never heard of this series before, but the build up to it was massive. So much so that I started reading the novels in anticipation (I say started, the first book alone is 800 pages or so). So I think I got a fair idea of the characters prior to going into this show and the storyline.

Now that the first episode is over, what did I think? To be fair, it would not be right to judge a show just on its first episode, so this is just my first impressions. Which were?

Personally, I liked it and was amazed at how close it got to the original source material. I almost felt like I was watching the books come to life - which is what an adaptation should be like. You want it to be close to the source material, so that you can embrace the enjoyment that you felt when first reading it. A lot of effort has gone into this show, with the set pieces and costumes looking amazingly well crafted and not the usual silliness that you get with some fantasies.

The acting was superb, with each part carefully crafted and brought to life - stand out roles for me was Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, which he played with the wit and humour that the character is known for, and Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen, played with snake like decitefullness. Special mention should also go to the child actors, they were brilliant and played their roles with the maturity of any professional adult.

Whilst it remains to be seen where Game of Thrones does indeed become the best HBO show ever, so far I like what I see. The makers have put a lot of thought and effort into this and George R.R. Martin should be proud of this adaptation. I look forward to the next episode with baited breath, but in the meantime I am going to catch up on the novel.

Well done HBO, yet again you have created another work of art! I may have to include it in my top ten HBO list sometime soon if it carries on like this!

Pandragon

No comments:

Post a Comment